The South Dakota Department of Transportation (SDDOT) acts as a facilitator of public and specialized transportation services. SDDOT does not directly provide the services, but contracts for services to be delivered within South Dakota through the awards of grants to transit providers.
This office administers the following programs:
- Federal Transit Administration (FTA) 5311 grants for rural public transit agencies
- FTA 5303 tansit planning grants benefitting Sioux Falls, Rapid City, and North Sioux City
- FTA 5310 grants aimed at mobility for elderly and disabled South Dakotans
- FTA 5309 capital grants for puchase of facilities and equipment
- Freedom and Job Access Reverse Commute programs
These public transit programs are also funded by rider fares, private contributions, donations, and state, city, and county money.