Location: I-90 EB & WB lanes (Mile Marker 319 to 334), Mt. Vernon exit to James River (east of Mitchell)
Prime Contractor: Knife River Midwest, LLC., Sioux City, IA
South Dakota Department of Transportation:
Rick Brandner - Lead Project Engineer
Office: (605) 995-8120
Description of Work: Nonreinforced PCC Paving, Bridge Deck Overlay, Epoxy Chip Seal, Permanent Signing, Pavement Marking, Asphalt Concrete Resurfacing, Pipe Ends, and Guardrail
Work in Progress:
Reconstruction of the WB Lanes was completed in 2012. In 2013, traffic is diverted to the westbound lanes so construction can be performed on the eastbound lanes.
The existing pavement is being recycled for use in the new construction. The existing concrete will be removed and crushed. The crushed concrete will be reused as a base material for the new concrete pavement to rest upon. The existing asphalt concrete shoulders are also being recycled in the hot mix asphalt when the new asphalt shoulders are placed. The remaining base material below the concrete pavement and the asphalt shoulders will be reused as a base material by scarifying and re-compacting.
Bridge work is being performed near exit 332 (Burr Street) in Mitchell. The bridge deck over Burr Street is receiving a bridge deck overlay and the abutments are being modified. The bridge deck will be supported on jacks while the existing abutments are removed and reconstructed. The bridge deck will also be checked for deteriorated concrete for repair. After abutment modification and deck repair work a new 2â€ concrete surface will be placed on the bridge deck.
The bridge deck over the RR tracks just west of Burr Street will receive an epoxy chip seal wearing surface after barrier curb rehabilitation on the structure is completed.
The existing pipe on the project will be updated to match the existing grade lines. Most pipes will be extended and new ends will replace old damaged existing pipe ends.
Ramps will also receive new pavement and longer acceleration and deceleration lanes.
The EB lanes of the interstate from Mt. Vernon to the James River (east of Mitchell) was closed to traffic on April 1st. Westbound traffic is restricted to the driving lane of the WB lanes and eastbound traffic is diverted and restricted to the passing lane of the WB lanes. An over width detour is in place for trucks over 12 feet wide. The over width detour parallels the project on SD 42 and SD44 south of the project.
The exit ramps will remain open for most of the duration of the project. The eastbound onramp at exit 332 is scheduled for 45 days of closure beginning in late August or early September. The exit ramps at exit 325 are scheduled for 20 days of closure beginning in July or August.
- Action Electric Sioux Falls, SD
- Asphalt Recycling Solutions Inc. Oakdale, MN
- Commercial Asphalt/Spencer Quarries Mitchell, SD
- Construction Signing Corporation Sioux Falls, SD
- Diamond Surfacing, Inc. Rogers, MN
- Eastern Dakota Specialties, LLC. Egan, SD
- GeoTek Engineering & Testing Inc. Sioux Falls, SD
- Guardrail Enterprises, Inc. Hartford, SD
- Hofland Engineering Aberdeen, SD
- Interstate Sealant & Concrete, Inc. Waukesha, WI
- Intex Corporation, Inc. Albertville, MN
- Jeff Miller Construction Huron, SD
- Labor Ready Tacoma, WA
- Louiseau Construction, Inc. Flandreau, SD
- MAK Milling Black Hawk, SD
- Midstate Reclamation & Trucking - MN Lakeville, MN
- Mulder & Son, Inc. Sioux Falls, SD
- Northwest Concrete Cutting Corp. Sioux Falls, SD
- Reiner Contracting, Inc. Hutchinson, MN
- Sioux Falls Construction Co. Sioux Falls, SD
- Swanston Equipment Co. Fargo, ND