Interstate 90 Exit 14 - Spearfish
Projects: IM 0901(0162)14, P 014A(11)8, & 2016-02 ; PCN 020U, 0217, & X03K; Lawrence County
Location: Interstate 90 Exit 14 at the US Highway 14A Interchange in Spearfish.
Improvement Type: Interchange Reconstruction
The purpose of the project is to replace the existing I-90 Exit 14 Interchange in Spearfish, South Dakota with a new single point interchange to improve traffic flow, improve access, and increase safety.
Construction Update (October 11, 2016):
Cool weather and snow has everyone on the project focused on completing the current phase before shutting down for the winter. The Interstate and Colorado Blvd. are scheduled to be completed by Nov. 10 this year. 27th St is scheduled to be completed next year (2017). The contractor plans to work on the bridge as long as the weather permits, with a goal of opening it to traffic this year. Once Colorado Blvd is complete, we plan to straighten out the reverse curve on the south side of the existing bridge, which should make it easier to navigate and clear snow in the event the new bridge is not open to traffic this winter.
The contractor has completed paving on westbound I-90 with the exception of some block-outs and the shoulders. 26th Street is now open and paving the eastbound lanes on Colorado Blvd. continues. The first bridge deck pour is nearly ready.
The next couple of weeks the contractor will pave block-outs on westbound I-90, the bottom portions of the westbound on and off-ramps, and eastbound Colorado Blvd. The contractor will continue work on the bridge which entails setting falsework, setting steel, in-stalling formwork, and pouring the bridge deck. The east half of the bridge will be poured in three phases.
The westbound off ramp is closed and scheduled to re-open by Oct. 26. We have also been receiving complaints about near-miss accidents at the intersection of 27th Street and the eastbound on and off ramps. When traveling northbound, travelers need to watch-out for traffic turning onto the on-ramp.
Traffic configuration for construction on Colorado Blvd and 27th St after the Rally
Black Hills Channel Video Update: Youtube
Phases 1, 2A, and 2B will be constructed prior to the Rally.
Thank you for your patience and attention when traveling through the project.
Weekly Project Meetings are open to the Public and are every Thursday at 2 p.m. in the Hudson Hall (Room C), 222 W Hudson St, Spearfish, SD.
- 3-D Rendering
- Mosaic Phases 1, 2A, 2B - April 4 to Aug. 3, 2016
- Mosaic Phases 2C - Aug. 15 to Nov. 10, 2016
- Winter Restriction - Nov. 11, 2016 to April 2, 2017
- Mosaic Phases 3A - April 3, 2017 to Aug. 2, 2017
- Sturgis Rally Restriction - Aug. 3 to Aug. 13, 2017
- Mosaic Phases 3B, 3C, 4Aug. 14, 2017 to Nov. 9, 2017
- Winter Restriction - Nov. 10, 2017 to April 1, 2018
- Any remaining work - April 2, 2018 to June 1, 2018
PHOTOS hover over photo & use arrows to scroll through
Time Lapse Videos
Construction activities include:
- Replacing the existing bridge with a single point interchange over I-90 including new on and off ramps (similar to the interchange at Exit 61, Elk Vale Road in Rapid City), lowering the interstate for improved vertical clearance, and new concrete pavement
- Realigning 27th Street to the east so that it lines up with itself at the south end
- Realigning Highway 14A/Colorado Blvd. to the north
- Installing raised medians to control access
- Installing new traffic signals at 27th Street and Highway 14A/Colorado Blvd.
- Installing new traffic signals at 27th Street and 1st Avenue
- Pedestrian access will be improved by installing sidewalk on the west side of the bridge and along the west side of 27th Street to the north, with connection to the bike path
- In conjunction with this project, the City of Spearfish is also making utilities upgrades including water main improvements, sewer manhole adjustments, and adding sidewalk to the south side of 1st Avenue between 27th Street and the entrance to 2735 1st Avenue (Sierra Design Signs, Anytime Fitness, Hibbett Sports, Pretty Nails, Verizon, and Maurice's)
The overall completion date of this project is June 1, 2018. Heavy Constructors, Inc., of Rapid City is the prime contractor on this $28 million project.