Project: P 0044(129)42 PCN # 00X9 Pennington County
Location: Jackson Boulevard (State Highway 44) from Rapid Creek to Mountain View Road in Rapid City
Improvement Type: Reconstruction
What is being built?
Jackson Blvd. and a portion of Sheridan Lake Road are being reconstructed to widen these sections of roadway and to complete utility upgrades to the water, sanitary sewer, and storm sewer.
Jackson Blvd. will be reconstructed from the Rapid Creek bridge near the Meadowbrook Golf Course to a location approximately 350 feet east of the North Mt. View Road intersection. A portion of Sheridan Lake Road will also be reconstructed beginning approximately 200 ft south of the Jackson Blvd intersection and extend north a location near Storybook Island.
In conjunction with the reconstruction of these street segments, sanitary sewer and water utilities will be upgraded. The utility portion of this project will also include some work outside the limits of the Jackson Blvd. roadway for water quality improvements near the City of Rapid City water treatment plant and the Jackson Pond area, on June Court, at the perimeter of the Creekside Professional Business complex, and on a portion of Lance Street between Lodge Street and South Mt. View Road.
Construction Update - March 4, 2013
- Jackson Blvd. traffic reduced to a single lane in each direction. Designated left turn pockets on Jackson at the higher volume intersections
- Pavement removal of the existing westbound lanes on Jackson Blvd. Crews working from the Jackson Pond area near Central Blvd. to the west side of the Sheridan Lake Road intersection. Second crew working from a location east of N. Mt. View Road to the east side of Sheridan Lake Road intersection. Sheridan Lake Road intersection functioning with left turns in each direction.
- Installation of the 66 inch reinforced concrete storm sewer is complete. Crews will begin to install the storm sewer pipes that cross Jackson Blvd. at the major drop inlets that have been installed during the installation of the 66 inch pipe.
- 12" water main installed under the westbound driving lane on Jackson Blvd. from N. Mt. View Road to a location east of Sheridan Lake Road
- Dual water lines (20" and 12") are being installed 20" & 12" beginning at the Jackson Park entrance to the east toward Sheridan Lake Road.
- Storm sewer and grading operations at the N. Mt. View Road intersection are nearing completion.
- First section of concrete pavement on Jackson Blvd. in the westbound lanes is scheduled for the week of March 25.
Project Schedule - Jackson Blvd. Reconstruction - Spring 2013
Beginning March 4th 2013 traffic will be reduced to one lane each direction and shifted into the eastbound lanes of Jackson Blvd with Left Turns permitted during off-peak hours.
- Temporary signals will be placed at the Jackson Blvd and South Mt View Road intersection.
North Mt View Road will be closed at Jackson Blvd for 14 calendar days beginning in March 2013 to realign the intersection, provide pedestrian crossings and upgrade the traffic signal system.
Pavement in the two westbound lanes will be removed, new waterlines, sanitary sewer, storm sewer and inlets will be installed followed by placement of new concrete pavement.
The north half of the Sheridan Lake Road intersection will be closed in May for reconstruction.
- Once the north half of the intersection is completed the south half will be closed. Total duration of the closure for both halves is 80 calendar days.
- Traffic will be maintained through the intersection on Jackson Blvd with one lane in each direction.
- 32nd St, Canyon Lake Drive and Mt View Road will be used as detour routes during the north half closure.
- West Flormann St, South Mt View Road and Argyle St will be used as detour routes during the south half closure.
In general, the eastbound lanes will be completed after the westbound lanes; however, portions of the eastbound lanes will be completed earlier depending upon the location of new underground utilities.
Work on the Rapid Creek Bridge is scheduled to begin in August.
Temporary closures of intersecting streets throughout the project will be necessary for utility installation and paving. Notifications will be distributed prior to closures.
The anticipated contract completion for the concrete paving on Jackson Blvd is December 2013. However, the Contractorâ€™s accelerated schedule targets completion in late September/early October of 2013. The Contractorâ€™s schedule is ambitious and depends heavily on the weather.
Some weather dependent work such as landscaping and permanent striping will be completed in the spring of 2014.
The above schedule information is tentative and may change as the work progresses.
Map of Project Limits
Westbound Lanes on Jackson Blvd. - (PDF shows segment where lanes are restricted)
The right lane will be closed on Jackson Blvd. in the westbound direction of travel beginning near the intersection of North Mt. View Road. The right lane on North Mt. View Road will also be closed as southbound traffic approaches the Jackson Blvd. intersection and is transitioned into the single lane of westbound Jackson Blvd.
Scope of Work
Work to remove the concrete pavement of the westbound driving lane of Jackson Blvd., from a point west of the North Mt. View Road intersection to a location east of the Sheridan Lake Road intersection. No work will occur at the Sheridan Lake Road intersection during this preliminary phase of work.
The right lane on Jackson Blvd. is being closed to for workers to begin installation of a 66-inch diameter reinforced concrete storm sewer that will be located under the new curb and gutter of Jackson Blvd. Crews will also begin work to install a new 12-inch water line that will be located under the right lane of the Jackson Blvd. In addition, a segment of sanitary sewer will be installed outside the roadway of Plant Street which is the access road to the Rapid City Water Treatment plant from Jackson Blvd.
Westbound Jackson Blvd. will experience delays in travel during peak morning and afternoon hours. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes when possible.
Access will be maintained to businesses located adjacent to the westbound lanes of Jackson Blvd. Construction signs with the business names and/or business complex names will be located at the designated entrance. At times, it may be necessary to provide a common access for multiple businesses during the installation of the underground utilities as they cross the existing business entrances.
As construction progresses, flyers will be distributed to all the businesses within the work zone and any others that may be affected by the construction in the immediate area. Flyers may contain information such as construction updates, temporary interruptions to utility services, temporary relocation of business accesses, and pedestrian access information.
Work Completed in 2012
South View SLR - Looking south on Sheridan Lake Road at the Jackson Blvd. intersection. Four lanes of new concrete pavement constructed. Temporarily stripped as 3 lanes until intersection is completed in 2013
North View SLR - Looking north on Sheridan Lake Road toward Storybook Island. New concrete pavement ties into asphalt surfacing.
June Court - City street that ties into Sheridan Lake Road north of the Jackson Blvd. intersection. June Court was reconstructed under the City Utility project with new sanitary sewer, water line and curb stops, asphalt surfacing, concrete curb and gutter and sidewalk.
Creekside Entrance - Entrance to Creekside Professional Business complex off Sheridan Lake Road. Work completed under the City Utility project that included new asphalt surfacing on the northern perimeter of the Creekside Professional Business complex after the installation of a new sanitary sewer main.